Onion - 1 (thinly sliced and cut to 1 cm length)
Tomato - 1 (thinly sliced and cut to 1 cm length)
2 cups Kabuli channa (soaked overnight)
1 to 2 cups coconut milk
Peppercorns - 5 to 6
Coriander seeds - 1 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry red chilli - 2
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom pods - 2 (Remove skin and use seeds only)
Curry leaves - 8 to 10
Green chilli - 1
Poppy seeds - 2 Tbsp (soaked in 2 Tbsp warm water for 15 minutes)
garlic pod - 1
Oil - 2 Tbsp
1) Cook channa in microwave for 15 minutes with water until soft. Drain the water and keep aside the channa. (Note: You may pressure cook it as well)
2) Dry roast peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, dry red chilli, cardamom seeds, curry leaves. Once it cools down grind it.
3) Add green chilli, garlic pod and poppy seeds to the powder and grind it into a paste.
4) Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and fry until it starts to change colour.
5) Add masala paste and fry for 2-3 minutes
6) Add tomato and fry for 5 minutes
7) Add channa, turmeric powder, salt and fry for 10 minutes on low heat.
8) Increase the heat back - Add coconut milk and let it boil for 10 minutes.