1 cup chick peas (channa)
1 tomato - finely chopped
1 onion - finely chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp kasuri methi
1 cup rice
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
3 green chilli - finely chopped
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1) Soak chick peas overnight. Boil to soften in microwave for 5-10 minutes or in a pressure cooker (1 whistle) with a pinch of salt
2) Cook rice. Spread it on a plate - to cool it down and ensure it does not clump.
3) Heat 2-3 Tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and fry until it splutters. Add ginger, onion, green chilli and fry until it changes colour. Add chopped tomato and fry until water leaves the sides
4) Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and pepper powder and fry for a minute. Mix with tomato paste, 1 tsp salt and fry for a minute.
5) Mix with rice. Check for salt. Garnish with kasuri methi
Serve with raita.
Tip: If you prefer it more tangy, add an extra spoon of tomato paste :)