Owe this mouth-watering Iyengar special to my friends' moms.. Nagajyothi and Divya :)
2 tomato - finely chopped
1/2 onion - finely chopped
2 Tbsp oil
1-2 tsp rasam powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 Tbsp Jaggery powder
1/4 tsp tamarind concentrate
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp urad dal
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 green chilli
1/2 to 1 cup of water
1) Heat oil in a frying pan. Add urad dal and fry until it starts to change colour. Add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter.
2) Add curry leaves and green chilli and fry. Add onion and fry until it starts to change its colour.
3) Add tomato and fry for a minute or two
4) Reduce heat to medium heat. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp jaggery powder, 1 tsp rasam powder, turmeric powder and fry for a minute or two.
5) Add 1/2 cup of water, tamarind concentrate. Check for salt. And boil for 2-3 minutes.
6) Add more jaggery/rasam powder depending on whether you like it sweet/hot. Boil for 5 minutes until tomato pieces are squashed.